Dance in Devon and Doorstep Arts wish to commission an artist or dance company to create a brilliant piece of dance to engage families with children aged 2-5 years. The aim of this commission is to engage new audiences in dance and bring them to our venues and spaces in Torbay, through performances and workshops as part of the Doorstep Theatre Festival 6-16 April 2016.
The artist should respond to the broad theme of ‘words, stories, and imagination’ with a playful, participatory approach to books/literacy for young children and family audiences. The piece needs to be suitable for very young audiences and to be able to be performed in non-theatre spaces, such as libraries and halls. Work should include a participatory element either within the performance or a workshop strongly linked to the performance.
We want to commission home grown work wherever possible and preference will be given to Torbay and Devon-based dance artists.
What we offer:
- £800 commission fee
- Rehearsal space support if needed for up to 5 days (venue tbc)
- 2 performance dates in Torbay (6 & 7 April 2016) (venue tbc but likely to be libraries)
- 1 matinee workshop / informal performance sharing date at Palace Theatre (9 April 2016)
- Technical support for get-in, get-out, operating the show
- PR and marketing support, inclusion in brochures, website, social media activity
- Ongoing development opportunities – we are keen that the commissions are the beginning of an ongoing relationship between the artist/company and the partners Dance in Devon and Doorstep Arts.
About Dance in Devon
Dance in Devon is the countywide dance development agency for Devon. Our vision is to create a county where people’s lives are enriched and energised through dance and to inspire, celebrate and develop high quality dance that benefits the people of Devon and beyond.
About Doorstep Theatre Festival
Doorstep Theatre is a touring partnership between Torbay and internationally acclaimed producers Battersea Arts Centre. The next season of Doorstep Theatre runs from 6-16 April 2016. The festival is providing amazing theatre performances in non-traditional theatre spaces, and creating opportunities for regional theatre-makers, workshops with artists, new regular weekly offerings for participating in theatre locally, and performance platforms for existing groups in Torbay.
How to apply:
Please ensure you are available for all performance dates before applying. If you would like to submit a proposal, please request and complete an application form. Send your completed application to Clare Parker at email@example.com.
Deadline for submission 7 January 2016 at 5pm.
Interviews 11 January 2016.
Rehearsal period between 28 March 2016 and 5 April 2016.
Performance dates 6 & 7 April 2016.
Informal sharing and family workshop 9 April 2016 during the afternoon.