Young Choreographers South West is a scheme open to young people aged 18-25 from the South West who are passionate about creating dance for performance or participation, who love to be challenged and inspired and to meet internationally renowned choreographers.
Over the past three years Dance in Devon and Pavilion Dance South West have been welcoming young choreographers from across the region to learn and train with some of the UK’s best choreographers. In a fun, supportive environment you will explore new choreographic devices, be inspired by fresh approaches and meet like minded artists.
What's On Offer?
• You will meet a different leading choreographer each day
• Each day includes: practical choreographic workshops and discussion with leading choreographers
• 3 of the Young Choreographers will go on to receive mentoring and a small commission to contribute towards the development of a new work which will be programmed by PDSW Young Choreographer Platform.
• There will be a high chance that you will be selected for further mentoring and choreographic opportunities later in the year
• After the residencies we would like you to join our growing ‘family’ of Young Choreographers, staying up to date on social media and receiving tailored email updates
• All PDSW projects are delivered to the highest standards of best and safe practice in dance with young adults at all times.
The residencies for 2019/20 will be released soon.
Saturday 20 & Sunday 21 October at Dartington Estate with Anna Newak from Company Wayne McGregor and Dan Watson from Gecko Theatre Company,
Saturday 16 & Sunday 17 February 2019 at Pavilion Dance, Bournemouth led by Hetain Patel and Robert Clark of Vincent Dance Theatre.
Saturday 28 & Sunday 29 October 2017 at Dartington Estate with leading choreographers Rosie Kay and Dan Daw.
Saturday 13 & Sunday 14 January 2018 at Pavilion Dance, Bournemouth with Alexander Whitley and Kerry Nicholls.
Saturday 19 & Sunday 20 November 2016 at Dartington SPACE with Alleyne Dance and Theo Clinkard
Saturday 21 & Sunday 22 January 2017 at Pavilion Dance, Bournemouth with Jose Agudo and Laila Daillo
Saturday 31 October & Sunday 1 November 2015 at Dartington SPACE with Laila Daillo and Marc Brew.
Saturday 16 & Sunday 17 January 2016 at PDSW with Luca Silvestrini (Protein) and Dan Canham
Saturday 8 & Sunday 9 November 2014 at Dartington SPACE with Russell Maliphant
Saturday 17 & Sunday 18 January 2015 at PDSW with Dan Canham (artistic director & chief investigator of Still House www.stillhouse.co.uk), Peter Wardell (magician)
Image Credit: Kevin Clifford
Previous participants have said about their experience:
To me, Young Choreographers South West means…
• Sharing, mindfulness, support, guidance, wisdom, growth,
• Somewhere to expand my horizon with creativity – past the norm of education and be in the same boat as others
By participating in Young Choreographers South West I have gained:
• A real focus on trusting yourself to not feel the need to add any other mannerisms apart from what is natural. This made for a nourishing and heart-warming experience which I can’t wait to explore further with my own choreography.
• New ways to approach work. Inspiration from her joy of moving and sheer tenacity.
• It’s good to push yourself to your limits. Don’t always to your normal movements, step out of your comfort zone.
Pavilion Dance South West